Runners and Walkers
The purpose of the campaign is to highlight that this group is the highest group at risk of accidental drowning, especially as the weather improves and new year's resolutions come into practice with people get out and about more.
Water Safety Scotland acknowledges the risk posed to those who are partaking In physical activity and leisure pursuits and supports the campaign to raise awareness with the general public on how to keep themselves safe.
Top 5 Water Safety Tips near open water
- Be aware of your surroundings and take notice of any warning signs when out and about
- When running or walking next to open water, stay well clear of bank edges. They are often unstable and this can create slips, trips and falls
- Try to always walk or run with a friend
- Always let someone know where you’re going – take your mobile phone
- Learn swimming and lifesaving skills
For more information, visit the RLSS website.